Detachment Commander Robert J. Bascou has appointed me to Chair the NJ SAL Detachment Convention Committee for the 2016-17 administrative year. Needless to say, I am humbled by the appointment and look forward to another great opportunity to serve our Detachment membership in this capacity. By virtue of being Chairman of the Detachment Convention Committee, I also serve as the NJ SAL Liaison to The American Legion, Department of New Jersey's, Department Convention Committee, chaired by Dual Member Franklin R. Sickle, Jr.. I look forward to working with Chairman Sickle and the rest of the Department Convention Committee this year in hopes of making our 2017 Department and Detachment Conventions the best conventions to date!
On Saturday, September 10, 2016, at 7:00 PM, I called to order our first Detachment Convention Committee meeting for the 2016-17 administrative year. The meeting was held at American Legion Post #346 - Neptune, Monmouth County, NJ. The meeting had been advertised a week in advance via Detachment Adjutant Carl W. Albern, Jr. sending an email notice to the Detachment membership.
2017 Detachment Convention Committee Members include (with 9/10/16 attendance as noted):
Chairman Jeffrey E. Hicks - present
Vice Chairman - vacant (those interested contact Chairman Hicks)
Detachment Commander Robert J. Bascou - present
Detachment Adjutant Carl W. Albern, Jr. - present
Department SAL Chairman Norman R. Marlin, Jr. - excused absence
Department SAL Vice Chairman Michael K. Burhart, Jr. - excused absence
SAL National Executive Committeeman (NEC) Gary P. Nelson - excused absence
Detachment Chaplain Rev. Matthew C. Thalasinos - present
Detachment Judge Advocate John (Jay) N. Gillman - excused absence
Detachment Internal Affairs Commission Chairman James A. Noble - present
Detachment Finance Committee Chairman Robert E. Phillips, Jr. - excused absence
Immediate Past Detachment Convention Committee Chairman Joseph A. Korba - excused absence
Others in Attendance
Detachment Vice Commander Edward J. Downs, Sr.
Detachment Vice Commander C. David Page
Note: Any NJ SAL member is always welcome to attend Detachment Convention Committee meetings.
1. Seeking two (2) or three (3) blue cap SAL members to serve on Convention Committee (See Chairman Hicks)
2. Need a Detachment Convention Committee Vice Chairman (See Chairman Hicks)
3. Department Convention Committee Meeting - Tuesday, September 20, 2016 (Chairman Hicks attended)
4. Feedback on 2016 Detachment Convention (both good and bad)
5. New ideas for 2017 Detachment Convention (shall remain in committee until further notice)
6. Floor opened for general comments
7. Next Department Convention Committee Meeting - Tuesday, November 15, 2016 (Chairman Hicks only)
8. Next Detachment Convention Committee Meeting - TBD (Plan after November 15th, but before December 10th)
Meeting adjourned at 9:04 PM.
For God & Country,
Jeffrey E. Hicks
Detachment Convention Committee
Sons of The American Legion
Detachment of New Jersey
h) (609) 388-4881
c) (609) 206-6583